Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Reminiscing

Today I had the opportunity to help out one of our recruiters at the Texas State Career Fair. On top of that, I was also able to sit in on a presentation she gave to a communications class that focused on interviewing, resumes, etc., etc. Being on college campuses always remind me of the many days I enjoyed as being a student. I looked at the eager students taking notes and asking questions, and I also observed the students who came stumbling in 10 minutes late looking completely bored within minutes of arriving. I noticed all the flip flops and jeans and leggings and t-shirts. Then I glanced at my own suit & ever-growing pregnant belly. Wow, I thought. I have really come a long way. Has it been that long since I was sitting in a desk just like this one dreaming of those golden opportunities and counting off all the things I hoped to accomplish?

I had the chance to talk to several anxious students who arrived professionally dressed with their resumes flowing from their fingertips. They were nervous, excited about the chance to interview; ready to sell themselves to me the moment the opportunity presented itself. It reminded me of attending MSU Career Fairs- dressing up in my one suit, practicing my spill in front of the mirror. Just hoping for an on campus interview. Ernest & Julio Gallo had a booth & it instantly reminded me that they were my first interview. The interview was going so well until they asked me what I thought my biggest weakness was. I guess in all of my preparation, I never knew this question was coming. I was really taken aback & thought for a few seconds. I then confidently responded, "Procrastination! Yes, that would probably be it!" Needless to say, I didn't get asked for a 2nd interview. And, I did a lot of research quickly thereafter to see what a good weakness would be. At least I can laugh about it now, right?

Upon leaving the stadium where the job fair was held, I was greeted with the sound of the of drum corp practicing in the parking lot and in the adjacent field, the marching band running through some songs. I thought about my many walks from class back to the Commons at MSU where the band always practiced. The air was free of humidity & there was a slight breeze in the air. It was a perfect fall afternoon. For a brief moment, it was like I had traveled back in time. I was a college student again. I didn't have a care in the world. Within a few seconds, however, I glanced at my watch and quickly snapped out of it. I was brought back to the present where I immediately thought about my little man waiting to be picked up from school, our dinner simmering in the crockpot (or burning, as I would later find out), Jeremy and if he was going to work late tonight, dirty laundry that was needing to be washed, etc. , etc. I smiled to myself thinking that while I often do miss my college years- the lack of responsibility, the freedom of it all- I am so blessed to have had that experience & so thankful to have what I have now! I jumped in my car and patiently waited while a few students crossed the street in no apparent hurry. Then, gave a little nod to that college campus in my rear view mirror as I headed home.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh!! This gave me chills!! You should definitely be a writing teacher! I found myself reading this and thinking in teacher mode! haha!! Thanks for this. Y'all just left and my tears had just cleared up...until now! haha! I love you!

    ReplyDelete