Friday, August 17, 2012

2 for Robert Plant, Please!

Sometimes you just gotta get away to the delta to hear some good music. Sometimes, you get lucky and end up with a fabulous place to stay, a band you like as neighbors, and Robert Plant and Patti Griffin as the entertainment you are going to see. Jeremy & I spent last weekend in Clarksdale for The Sunflower Festival & we had such a great time! We were actually in Clarksdale when it was announced that Robert Plant would be headlining this year's festival (back in March). When we found out, we started frantically searching for a place to stay, but everywhere booked up in about 5 seconds. So, we decided to book a room at the Isle of Capri in Lula. UNTIL, our new friend, Joey Young who I had commissioned to paint a piece of art for Jeremy for his bday, said he could hook us up with a shack out at the Stovall plantation. And if you know Jeremy & me, well, you know we love a good Delta shack. 

Check out Joey's painting for Jeremy. How awesome is this? And it is huge. I. Love. It. 

Our little Shack. We about fell out when we walked in. I won't lie. I had my concerns, as Joey stated that these shacks would be ready just in time for the festival. I was just hoping that it ac, electricity, and a private bathroom. This place was niiiiiiiiice. 


Check it out! It's Jimbo Mathis! And he & the band were our neighbors! This was taken Friday night at Hopson Commissary. We bounced back & forth from there to the Juke Joint Chapel Friday night. And we even bumped into our friend, Allen (if you remember from my other posts about Clarksdale- he has always been our bartender/ checker-in-er/etc. at The Shack Up)

I took this Sat. morning off our Cabin's back porch. I just don't feel right calling this place a shack. I just can't do it!

"Hello? Am I excited to be here for my first Sunflower Festival? Why, yes, I am!!!"
I know, I am a complete nerd. Jeremy tells me this on a daily basis. But I couldn't resist. This was at the old radio station. We had an excellent tour guide by the name of Ken (who happens to live in Jackson) and he filled us in on all the details of this little gem. 

The old green room- so cool to think about all the famous feet that walked across this floor.

 Ike Turner used to sit here


Ken's brother, Bubba, owns this building and downstairs is a museum of sorts. And I couldn't resist a photo of this picture-perfect cotton!  

Jeremy asked me to make the goofiest face I could think of. Here it is, people. I had pizza on the brain- we were at The Stone Pony, one of our old standby's. 

Hiya, Robert! Rumor had it that Jimmy Page was backstage & that he was going to make a surprise appearance. We were stoked. It didn't happen. But, that's ok. I'll take Robert Plant any day. 
Kindof reminded me of that time I was in Orlando for the Enterprise yearly Manager Meeting & everyone kept talking about the "surprise band" that was going to play the opening night of the meeting. We were all so convinced it was going to be Dave Matthews. I was so excited, I lost sleep over it. Turned out to be Hootie and the Blowfish. And that was before they went country. We'll call it their "In-Between Stage." Not that I am comparing Robert Plant to Hootie. You know what I mean, right? It was kindof like, "No way! Dave Matthews??? Get out of here! Can you imagine? Would that not be so cool to tell people we saw Dave at a private concert just for E employees? Oh, what, it's Hootie? As in, Let her Cry? Oh. They're still together???" Saturday night was more like this: "You are kidding. Jimmy Page, too? I may faint. I really think I might." Then, after several songs when we realized that Jimmy would have come out by then: "Wellllll, he should be coming out anytime if he is here.....surely he would have been out by now." And towards the end: "No biggie. I mean, who REALLY thought that Jimmy Page would be here, too. That is nuts!!" See the difference? Yes, you are right. You will never get those 15 seconds back that it just took to read  that nonsense. Sorry, but that's just the way my brain works sometimes!


We aren't the spring chickens we used to be. Some of us may have needed a nap mid-afternoon.

Oh my gosh, this little girl ADORED Jeremy. She would not leave him alone & it was so cute. She was Hazel's age so it made us miss her (& Hutch, of course) like crazy. 

Jeremy, don't kill me, but I love this picture. So, I posted it. Welcome. See that shirt?

Do we look tired? Because we were. It was a looooooong day. 


Ground Zero!

Can you see Robert? Yeah, we really couldn't either. Let me also say that Patti Griffin was incredible. Her voice is absolutely amazing. 

The main house on the property where we stayed. Or also known as "Shanda's place" to the locals. It was so pretty! I wanted to go take a look inside so bad!

There's our cabin to the left. And I should have captured this, but there is also an airstream trailer to the right that you can rent if you are on a budget. It was going for 75/ night during the festival. That's where Jimbo's band slept. 

We loved the old brick columns in the driveway. 

While we headed out of town, this little guy headed into Jackson. He brought along his little sis, Mama, and Aunt Haley. We hated this fell on our Clarksdale weekend, but we did get to spend Sun. night with everyone. And, the kiddos stayed at my parents all weekend so they got to spend more QT with their cousins and Aunt Haley who they had not seen since May a year ago! 

Thai boxing shorts!


Reunited!!! And it feels so goooooood! Love, love, love my sisters and I just feel complete now that we are all back on the same continent. Can't wait to spend some time with these girls & our families Labor Day. 


4 comments:

  1. So glad to see ya'll in Clarksdale!!! Next time...come to Greenwood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new wall photo and background! I was just thinking the other day that you needed a more summery picture (and updated pic) of the precious kiddos! Looks like you all had a super fun weekend! Jason and I just can't seem to get away from the girls for an entire weekend. I am a little jealous of yours and Jeremy's grown up outings! Miss you guys! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Amy, I was overdue! It's always so time consuming to update the layout & I was in need of a cute pic of just the 2 kiddos- so I took advantage of the beautiful afternoon yesterday! Make time to get away- it's so worth it!!! We have decided, though, that 2 days is the perfect amount of time- anything longer & we miss them like crazy! Miss you guys tons!

      Delete
  3. Lindsey, no one ever has to know you saw Hootie and the Blowfish. Just quietly delete that part and at family functions, we can pretend it never happened. I'll ask you about the kids, we can talk about the weather, but NO ONE will ever have to know these dark secrets you keep!

    BTW, I love your knew blog makeover. The picture of the kids is great. Yeah, I joke that Cody and I once had a weekend away from the kids....it's called 8 years ago on our honeymoon. Not joking. I know, you're horrified. I think back on when my parents lived right by us and all of the opportunities we had to hop in the car and go away for a few days! Well, I better start making up for lost time.

    ReplyDelete