Thursday, October 11, 2012

Hutch & Hazel at the Fair

We had so much fun at the fair last night!!! I would hesitate to broadcast that the last Wednesday night is, by far, the best night to go in regards to crowds, however, it's not like the greater Jackson population reads my blog. SO, I think we're cool. That's the night to go, people. It was awesome! 

But, before we get into all that. Here's a few "fall" pics of the H's at my parents' last weekend. Hutch spent a couple of days dealing with pneumonia (ick) so we decided to stay inside most of the weekend. BUT, we did sneak out for a few minutes to enjoy the cool weather Sat. afternoon. 





Jeremy was at work, so I was trying to find some ways to keep these 2 entertained. This worked for about 10 minutes. And then the "She took miiiiiiiiiiine. Ma-Ma, she has my cray-on!!" And, meanwhile Hazel is yelling, "Mine!Mine!Mine!" and doing this screechy thing that the does that we are trying to get her to quit doing. So, I said, "That's IT! We're going back IN!" And that was that. 

Ok, so back to the fair. If you have read my blog over the past few years (bless your heart), then you know I love, love, love the fair! I have so many wonderful memories of going to the fair each year growing up. My parents, no matter how much money they had, always found a way to get us there. We may have been the only kids under 15 who were out at Midnight Maddness, but that was cool with us- super short lines for the kiddie rides when it gets to be about 10:00 PM. Anyways, I still get that giddy, butterflies-in-my-stomach feeling when we are approaching the first of October. And, now it's so much fun to go with little ones and watch their eyes light up when they walk through those gates. And, to have my parents there, too. Sniff, sniff. I really did get a bit emotional today thinking about it. I think it hit me on the tilt-a-whirl last night. My Mom and I took a spin & I could just picture Carly, Haley, my Mom, and me, all crammed into that little cart. We would laugh so hard & my Mom would yell, "LEAN! LEAN!" so we would go super fast. And, at the end of the ride, we would either label our cart "DUDD!" or "GOOD ONE!!!" hoping, of course, for the later. I missed my sisters last night. And, I felt so close to that memory I could close my eyes and feel like I was there. Until I felt a little hand in mine & realized it was my own little girl looking up at me with her big brown eyes. And Hutch eagerly looking in every direction determined to ride everything. And fast. Like at any minute they were going to call the fair over, load up, and pull out. 

Look at this sweet face on the ferris wheel. 

Ok, so maybe Hazel isn't quite ready for the rides yet. This is about what she looked like the entire time she was on here. And look at Hutch. Just loving it. Perhaps we messed up when we put her on the kiddie rollercoaster first. Maybe we should have tried to ease her into it. Gone for the little cars or something. Oh, well. Live and learn. 


View from the top

Well, well, well, look who cheered up!!! This was as they were unloading. Probably explains the sweet smile. 






The petting zoo was certainly a hit. Hazel would get in these goat's faces & that made this Mama a nervous wreck. I got her some food out of that machine you see & she immediately decided to give it a sample. I may have had a momentary freak out. Maybe. Well, not really, b/c, honestly I tend to be pretty laid back. I think the conversation went like this: "Hazel, honey, want to feed the goats?? Ok!!! (putting change in) Here you go! (baby goat food into Hazel mouth) Oh, no, sweetie! That's nasty! No big deal! Let's not do that again, ok? Yeah, I know, NASTY!" And that was it. Problem solved & she was obviously not impressed with this little snack as I never witnessed another morsel entering her mouth. 

Check out how little this girl was last year when she saw these animals

Wowsers, check out the tongue on that cow!!! 


Who doesn't love a pig race? Hutch was even picked to cheer on one pig, but unfortunately, he did not win. Hutch really had no clue what he had been selected to do. He wouldn't really cheer when they were looking for volunteers, so I suggested he dance. And, I guess that worked! 


 See? Here is he busting a move right there at that pig race. 


I take Hutch's picture every year doing this (see here and here)

We tried, we really did. 

And, we finally got it. 

Hutch said this was his favorite. 

So, Hazel decided she wanted to go for a ride, too. I realize that all you can really see in this pic is my hair blowing. And Hazel's arms wide open. But, she loved that slide. 


So, another year in the books & it was so much fun!! We even split up for a bit so we could go ride some big-kid rides. And, let me tell you, that Ring of Fire is still as much fun as it used to be. Aunt Jan & I had us a big time- yelling & letting go & everything! My Mom and I didn't quite enjoy one of our old faves as much as we remembered. We were a bit stiff this morning & really wished that when the operator yelled, "WHO WANTS TO GO AGAIN????" and we yelled, "NOOO! NOT US! LET US OFFFFF!" he would have been paying attention. But, oh well, we survived. :) Hope all of you other fair-goers had a lovely time, as well this year. Next thing on our fall list= pumpkin patch & hayride Saturday! Have a great weekend, everyone! XOXO

5 comments:

  1. Lindsey, I LOVE the fact that you put the old pics in there! it is so fun to see them doing the same thing when they are smaller! Your posts make me laugh every time! Now tell Carly to get going too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several comments:

    1) Hutch got pneumonia?!? I feel like I should know things like that! Scary!!
    2) I can't believe they still have pig races!! I thought PETA had stopped them. I'm so proud of Hutchie for getting his own to cheer for, even if he didn't know what was going on- clearly he takes after his mom and aunts!
    3) Poor Hazel- I remember my fair roller coaster ride as a child- I cried enough that the man stopped and let me off.

    Love this post and I'm so sad I wasn't there with y'all! Next year! Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll say it again. I am in love with those two kids. So precious! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody!!! We had a great time- Haley, no worries, Hutch is back to his old self & you would have never even been able to tell he was under the weather. Love y'all & thanks for the sweet comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post...and I must say, when you were reminiscing about your childhood at the fair, I got a little teary eyed and it wasn't even my memory! Growing up is awesome but also kinda sucks at the same time!!! I love the pics and the stories, makes me wish I lived there! Now, I have to ask, where do you get all of Hazel's cute little ruffle bottom outfits? I am looking for some for M&Em for Christmas but they are so expensive online...$40 would not be so bad if I didn't have to buy for two!!! $40 turns to $80 in my world! Hugs to you! Miss you bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete