Sunday, January 13, 2013

Fave Tunes















I have stated before that I am really, really bad at being open to new music. It always seems like such a great idea, but then I get caught in the cycle of putting my ipod on shuffle & listening to the same things over and over again. I do like songs I can sing to, so I tend to be hesitant to try out new stuff. The radio stations in Jackson certainly don't help with this rut I seem to always find myself in- the country stations focus on top 40 country, then there is your typical classic rock station, etc., etc. That being said, I have really tried to find some new music over the past few months. My ipod has been tired of playing the same stuff over and over again. I have tried to get new music ideas from friends/ family & I have made it a habit to listen to music recommended on other people's blogs. That being said, here is what I have been listening to.....

 



The Lumineers. Oh, how I love, love, love this album. It's so catchy & I am full of regret that I didn't see them play at Hal & Mal's just a few months ago. You may have heard their hit song "Ho Hey", but I included it as it's one of my faves. And, Hutch & Hazel know most of the words- they love this song, too!

The Head and the Heart. They are such fun and the song above "Lost in my Mind" is a great one to sing along to. Hutch, my fellow music critic, is convinced that this is his song because it talks about a brother.

Bon Iver. I try to avoid downloading just one song from an album- I would rather get the whole thing. That being said, I made an exception in this case. The song above, "Holocene" is so pretty. I have listened to some other songs on this album and they are great, too, so I have plans on purchasing the others in the near future.


Alabama Shakes. Ok, so I have had a bit of a hard time getting into this album. They are coming to Jackson for the St. Paddy's Day parade street dance so I wanted to be familiar with their music. Plus, I think they were named Rolling Stone's Best New Artist of the Year? I am not super crazy about the lead's voice, BUT the music is awesome & it's growing on me. So, I included this because I have been listening to it quite a bit lately.


Mumford and Sons, Sigh No More. I have included my most played song off this album, "Awake my Soul." Their new album, Babel, has received great reviews but I just can't seem to get into it. I need to give it a second shot as I just can't see how it would be bad. These guys are so talented & the way they harmonize & the fabulous music makes just makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

What are y'all listening to? I am up for suggestions if you have a band that you would recommend!

2 comments:

  1. Not to purposely be behind the times, but some family friends have a son-in-law that plays fiddle for M&S and I had to look them up. I was laughing out loud because they have the biggest selling album in the UK and just about everywhere else! Who knew?! Lately, I have been listening to Gillian Welch's 90's album, Revival. I LOVE it. So great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, that is hilarious! Mumford and Sons are all the rage right now. Have you listened to them??? They are amazing! I will check out your rec! XOXO

    ReplyDelete