Thursday, August 1, 2013

Miscellaneous

I haven't had a random post in a while, so, quite frankly, I am due. Here are some of the random, fun things that have been happening in my world:

  • I have THREE book recs for y'all. I try to avoid recommending a book unless it just rocks my world. I guess I have just been really lucky here lately! Here they are:
  1. Divergent series- Very Hunger Games-ish. That being said, there are some big differences, but these books basically chronicle the adventure of your typical strong female character in futuristic Chicago. It only caught my eye because they are in the process of making it a movie. Super quick, entertaining read. And, of course, there is a love story admist the craziness. Who doesn't enjoy a Young Adult romance every now and then?
  2. The Birth House by Ami McKay- I picked this because it was cheap on Amazon, not really knowing what I would think. That Ami McKay can tell a story now- can't wait to read more of her stuff. To sum it up, this story focuses on a woman who follows in the steps of her mentor to become a mid-wife. Takes place in the early 1900s (I think?) in Canada. I know it sounds really boring, but scoop it up- it is well worth your time.
  3. The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley- This book is definitely my favorite. A true gem. And, it has 464 pages. I love a long book. This novel is very Downton Abbey-ish. It revolves around a British family digging up secrets on their ancestors. I really liked this one because it was a story within a story. I could not put it down. Bonus? It's only $1.99 for your Kindle right now- I am telling you, you won't regret it. This is probably one of the best written books I have ever read. It was so good that I was sucked in the other night while Jeremy was snapping his fingers at me saying, "Hey, nerd! Hey, nerd, you going to bed tonight?" :)
  • Summer is almost over. I wish I could say I'm going to miss it. But that would be a lie. Let's get here already, fall! My feet are itchin' to get back into my tall boots! I am on the look out for some new gray ones. I am sure you care. :) And football season. Yes. Yes. Yes. Ooooh, and chili.
  • Did you know I have the funniest kids on the planet? Don't you want to know what they have been up to this month? I thought so. Hazel has discovered new words & tries to use them whenever possible. These words include: "delicious" and "you hurt my feelings"(so sad. Not sure where she picked that one up but she will guilt you with this response and tearful eyes at every given opportunity) and "You Mama? Not Lindsey?" (yes, our first names have been discovered & they LOVE them.) and her new song "I like and sing. I like and sing. I like and sing. A pop-pop-pop" and "you so cute." She has become partially fond of makeup, high heels, princesses, and pigtails (as you may have noticed in my pictures).
  • Hutch, well Hutch...he thinks he has it all figured out and is most certainly the "Best Big Brother" out there (just ask him) and he is doing his best to "take care of everybody because that is what big brothers do." He still loves to sing and dance. He has started laying out his pj's before he takes a bath, which I think is one of the cutest things I have ever seen. After he's all cleaned up each night, he throws on his cape, cowboy hat, boots, arm cuffs, shield, sword, bow & "areas", and is ready to save the world. He keeps all the bad guys away from our house on a daily basis. His immediate response when Hazel gets in trouble is to tell us how much he loves us & how we are the best parents in the whole-wide-world and we deserve a trophy.
  • I have been able to spend alot of time with my sisters over the summer, especially Carly, and it's amazing how used you get to seeing someone. I was in Kroger the other day & spotted a box of Cheez-It Snack Mix and it almost brought me to tears b/c we adore that snack. We have been so fortunate to see so much of each other & I am so glad the kiddos have been able to spend time with their cuz's.
  • I dropped $45.00 on hair product. Have y'all tried Moroccan Oil? I heard wonderful things from Ree over at the Pioneer Woman and decided it had been too long since I regretted spending too much on something for my hair. I will let you know how it goes. Here's to hoping it's the mircale I have been waiting for my whole life.
  • Y'all keep my dear husband in your prayers...he is up to his eyeballs in CPA stuff right now. I am so proud of him!!!
  •  I need a new TV series. I just finished SMASH and am so bummed it's over. I really fell in love with that series. Boo. I tried to get into The Walking Dead but only made it to Ep. 3. It was really good, it's just I don't like to turn it on until the H's are sleeping & let me just state that there are many nights that I am asleep before Hutch. Any recommendations? Just remember, we kicked the cable a year ago & so it has to be available on NetFlix or Amazon or HuluPlus.
  • Have you noticed that I changed up my blog roll? Sorry if you were kicked off. I didn't want it to end this way (ahem, sisters) but I decided since it had been 1+years since you last posted, it was time for a clean up. That being said, I have started following some new blogs and become inspired. I want to jump on that bandwagon where I have a dedicated post one day of the week. Like "Wish List Wednesday" or "Throwback Thursday" or something. Liven this thing up a bit.
  • Did you hear The Black Crowes are coming to Jxn? WHAT?? It's right before we head out of town for a sans-kiddo trip so we are still up in the air. But, I told Jeremy, it's really our duty to go. How often does Jackson get a great band like this? We need to support the local music scene.
  • Speaking of music, I know you are dying to know what I am listening to these days. I can't get enought of Of Monsters and Men. Thank you, Haley, for sharing. I listen to their album a couple of times a day. It. Is. Lovely. Great harmony & they are from Iceland so I am instantly reminded of my Bjork days. Without some of the adolescent baggage I was carrying at the time, of course.

    Well, friends, if you are still reading, you are amazing.
Thank you tons & of course, Happy Friday Eve!!! XOXO

2 comments:

  1. I won't even tell you the last time I read an ENTIRE book. Okay, you've got me curious, I'm going to see if The Birth House is at our library. It sounds like me! Thanks for the book suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I thought about you when I read this book! It's probably not exactly what you are thinking- basically the plot focuses on a woman & her mentor (the main character) who the town depends on for mid-wifing & a new doctor moves into town & tries to sell the women on using an actual licensed dr. and "updated facility". So, while it discusses some things about the midwifing, it's mainly the controversy it creates and the relationships between the characters. That being said, it really was a great book!

      Delete